There is a new single parent forum where I live and I joined it for some solidarity. Yesterday a question was asked by the group admin who obviously felt things were a bit quiet
How are you all finding back to school with childcare and school runs?
This is a little awkward for me, and I was thinking of not replying to this particular question, but I felt the need to show them that not all single parents have the luxury of finding adequate childcare and holding down a full time job.
So I replied
As Dinky’s carer, childcare isn’t an issue for me, and she goes to school in a taxi, which has been hellish because they didn’t turn up on the second day and have been varying degrees of late ever since
I’m so tired of the question: “so what are you going to do for work now Dinky is at school?”
Or hearing “now Dinky is at school, you can get a job and earn some money”
I HAVE A JOB! I am my child’s carer
My list of duties while she is at school
- Source respite
- Pay respite
- Pay Tax
- File paperwork
- Chase meds
- Chase referrals and appointments
- Go to appointments
- Go to regular meetings at school
- Take numerous phone calls from school- from teacher once a week, from therapists – OT, SaLT, Drama and almost daily calls from the TA
- Go to workshops to learn things I need to get dinky the correct support
- Making visuals
My hours of care (Dinky requires more supervision and more care than the average 7 year old)
- 1am- 2/3am
- 4.10pm-9/10pm (sometimes later)
So I have a full time job! I am my child’s carer!